DNS check probe type available
A brand new probe type is available for Uptrends customers: DNS check. This check allows you to perform various queries on a DNS name server. The most common thing to check, is whether your domain name (www.yourcompany.com) is still pointing to the IP address of your web server. Your provider’s name server is the primary, first-hand source of this information. By monitoring this DNS query directly, we will detect any DNS problems, even before your website becomes unavailable for your visitors and customers.
Uptrends' DNS probe lets you do extensive DNS health checks: verify your web site domain names (A and CNAME records), mail server domain name mappings (MX records), DNS zone delegates (NS records), authoritative information about DNS zones (SOA records) and other DNS information, contained in TXT records (including SPF information for e-mail authentication).
To create a DNS probe, follow these steps:
- Create a new probe, and select the DNS probe type.
- Enter the domain name or IP address of the DNS name server in the URL field.
- DNS queries use port 53 by default. You can change the port number if required.
- Select the DNS query type you want to use (A, CNAME, MX, NS, SOA, TXT). For basic domain name checking, use A.
- Enter the expected result. For basic domain name checking, this is the IP address of your web server.
- Test or Save the probe. We will start monitoring your DNS query immediately.
Please contact us if you require any assistance in setting up your DNS checks. For finding out more DNS information of your own domain, you can refer to our free DNS check report.