For setting up two-factor authentication in Uptrends an account administrator first needs to configure the account-wide default setting. After that the operator main settings can be overridden individually if so configured. An authenticator app of choice can be used.
Enabling account-wide default login options
This setting can only be configured by account administrators.
In Uptrends, go toand check one of the options at Two-factor authentication setting.
- Required - Basic operators are required to use two-factor authentication using a time-based one-time password.
- Optional - Basic operators can choose whether to use two-factor authentication using a time-based one-time password.
- Disabled - Two-factor authentication using a time-based one-time password cannot be used within the whole account.
Two-factor authentication settings for operators
After configuring the default login options for operators, choose a login option on the Main tab of the operator page, in the section Login options for this operator. Here the default status of two-factor authentication in your account is displayed and the option of overriding the default account-wide settings for two-factor authentication for this specific operator. (Still, this setting can only be configured by account administrators.)
At Two-factor authentication setting check the Override two-factor authentication settings to override the settings if needed.
- Required - Two-factor authentication must be used. The setup will be triggered during the operator’s next login.
- Optional - Two-factor authentication can be set up manually on this screen.
- Disabled - Two-factor authentication cannot be used.
To clear the two-factor authentication configuration and set it up again click thebutton.
There are several ways for an administrator or operator to enable or trigger setting up two-factor authentication:
In Uptrends go to Finish the two-factor authentication has successfully been set up.select the operator and click to set up two-factor authentication. A popup will open. Use an authenticator app of your choice to scan the QR code. Fill in the 6-digit code provided by the authenticator app. After clicking
By operator invitation
When an operator required to use two-factor authentication is invited to Uptrends the process to set up two-factor authentication will be part of accepting the operator’s invitation. The authentication process is the same, with an authenticator app of choice providing a time-based one-time password.
By email link
After logging in, an operator required to use two-factor authentication will be presented with a page notifying them of an email. That email message contains a link to a page within Uptrends where two-factor authentication can be enabled. After that the operator will be logged in. The operator will need to login with a time-based one-time password from that moment on.