Public Status Pages
A Public Status Page lets you publish uptime information for your monitors, so the general public has up to date information about the availability of your sites and services. You can control which monitors you want to include in your status page, and you can change the look and feel of the page so it fits in with the style of your brand. Please visit this Uptrends Academy section to learn how you can set up Public Status Pages.
Protected Status Pages
Perhaps you want to share the status of your sites and services to someone outside your organization, without exposing it to the rest of the world. To do this, you can use the same Public Status Page function to create a protected status page. A protected status page means that a login name and password is needed to access that page. When a person outside your organization uses that login, they will only see that status page; they will not see any other dashboard and won’t be able to make any changes. Since the status page is protected, it will remain completely invisible to the outside world.
Creating a Protected Status Page and setting up operators
- Start by creating a regular Public Status Page: specify which monitors you want to include, which period to report on, and which SLA settings you want to use for this status page. Optionally add a logo, change the color scheme and title and footer text.
- Since you’re creating a protected status page, verify that the Publish checkbox on the General tab is unchecked. If you publish a status page, it will become available to the general public.
- Save the new status page, and notice the Preview link for the new status page in the Public status page overview. This link contains the URL that authorized users can use to access the status page.
- Create at least one new operator account. This separate operator will get access to the protected status page. We strongly recommend that you do not share these new login credentials with third parties until the next steps have been completed.
- The permissions of the new operator need to be restricted, such that they can access only the protected status page (and no other things, like monitors). You have to remove the Basic operator permission to achieve this. Check out the KB article Permissions to learn how to revoke permissions.
- The last step is to grant the operator access to the protected status page. This is done by Uptrends Support. Please file a support request asking for a protected status page. In your request, please include the name of the protected status page and the name of the operator(s) that need to get access. The Support team will grant the operator(s) access to the new status page and update you as soon as the request has been processed.
Accessing a Protected Status Page
Once you’ve had confirmation of Support that the permissions have been granted, you can go ahead and instruct the people outside your organization to start using the protected status page. There are two easy ways for them to navigate to it:
- They can go to the Uptrends homepage, click on Login and enter the login credentials you created for them. We’ll display a list of Protected Status Pages they have access to.
- Alternatively, you can give them the Preview link we saw earlier. This URL can be bookmarked for easy reference. When someone first visits it, we’ll ask them to log in.
Please note that a protected status page is always accessible to Administrator operators and regular operators when they are logged in.