PagerDuty provides alerting, on-call scheduling, escalation policies, and incident tracking to alert your team and aggregate system information. Uptrends' integration option with PagerDuty can send alerting messages out of your Uptrends account to a PagerDuty account. Setting up the integration requires you to take three steps:
- Setting up the integration in PagerDuty
- Setting up the integration in Uptrends
- Adding the integration to an alert definition in Uptrends
Curious to see what you’ll get when this integration has been set up? Below, you see an example of what the integration looks like in PagerDuty. Read on for detailed instructions on how to set it up!
1. Setting up the integration in PagerDuty
This preparation is only applicable if you would like to receive alerts in your PagerDuty account. The integration between Uptrends and PagerDuty consists of alerts which are sent by Uptrends to a user defined service in PagerDuty. In order for Uptrends to be able to send alerts to that PagerDuty service, you need to create a service within your PagerDuty account. This process is detailed below.
- Select from the dropdown menu in the top menubar of the main screen of your PagerDuty account.
- A page named will open. Click on the button named .
- A page named will open. On this page, you can provide the service information. Enter a name for the service and optionally a description. For the , select the option . For the , select an , , and . Click on the button to create your service.
- You are now directed to the service page of your newly created service. The Integrations-tab will contain the Integration Key of your service.
This completes the integration set up in PagerDuty.
2. Setting up the integration in Uptrends
The integrations feature in Uptrends can be accessed from the top menu.
- Hover over in the top menu and then click on in the dropdown menu.
- This will open the Integrations panel, containing the integrations which have been defined in Uptrends. Initially, this panel will be empty.
- You can define a new integration by clicking on the button in the top right corner of this panel.
- Select to create a PagerDuty integration.
- Click on the PagerDuty button, to start the process of retrieving the relevant integration information. This process entails giving Uptrends permission to post alerts to a PagerDuty service you specified in the previous step.
- After granting this permission, you will return to Uptrends to complete the integration definition.
- To complete the definition, you need to enter a name for this integration and click on the button in the lower left corner. After saving you will return to the integrations panel, which will contain your newly created integration definition.
- You can click on this integration to open it in a page for editing purposes. You can change the name of the integration, deactivate it, or delete it if the integration is not in use by any alert definition:
3. Adding the integration to an alert definition in Uptrends
An integration definition on its own does nothing. You need to attach it to one or more escalation levels in order to receive alerts through it.
- In order to attach an integration definition to an escalation level, navigate to the desired alert definition and escalation level in Uptrends.
- Each Escalation level tab contains an element called .
- Select the integration definition that you would like to attach to this escalation level.
- Make sure to hit the button to save your changes.
And that’s it! You’ve successfully set up the PagerDuty integration.
As always, if you have any questions, please reach out to our support team.