We’re working on some pretty big changes to the look and feel of the Uptrends web application. The biggest change is the redesign of the main menu. On this page, we’ll talk about what will change, what the benefits are, and how you can participate in making it even better!
We’ve processed the user feedback from the private beta program and offer the menu now as a public beta feature. You don’t need to subscribe to the beta program. The option to choose the new menu is enabled for all users, see below for how to switch it on or off.
If you want to know more about Uptrends' beta programs in general, visit the knowledge base article beta programs.
Why are we changing the menu?
The application’s main menu has been located at the top of the screen ever since we started building the first version of Uptrends over a decade ago. This worked well so far, but as we keep adding more monitoring options, we reached the limit of that setup. Based on the feedback we received from Uptrends' users and our plans for the future, we decided that it is time for a change. The reason for the change are these benefits of the new menu:
- It is easier to find settings, dashboards and other functions.
- Our three main products Uptrends Synthetics, Uptrends Real User Monitoring and Uptrends Infra are accessible in one single application.
- You will get more out of your monitoring by having access to related functionality directly from the menu.
- For large accounts, the users can navigate their data more easily.
It’s time for a new lick of paint! We may even do some redecorating here and there, not just in the menu.
What are the changes?
- The classic menu was located at the top, while the new menu is on the left hand side of the screen.
- You can collapse and expand the menu, giving more (or less) space to dashboards. Optionally, you can pin the menu.
- The side menu has more space to show relevant menu entries (commands or links to information).
- You see a section for each of our products Synthetics, RUM, and Infra, making them available in one space.
- Within Synthetics, there are dedicated sections for the main monitor types: Transactions, Browser-based monitors (Full Page Checks and Real Browser Checks), API monitors and Uptime monitors (HTTP(S), SSL, DNS, SMTP, Ping, etc.)
- Each dashboard (default or custom) can now be marked as favorite. Just click the
button at the top right of the dashboard while the dashboard is visible. The favorite dashboards show up as quick links in the menu.
- A search feature for menu entries is now available. Just start typing the word ‘transaction’ to find all transaction-related functions.
- The search feature even is an application-wide search tool. Searching by monitor name or operator name is now possible. The search results are presented directly in the new menu space.
How do I show the new menu?
During the beta phase and for some time after the official introduction of the menu, you have the option to switch between the classic and new style menu.
When you are using the classic menu, use the button at the top right of the Uptrends app to switch to the new menu.
And when you are using the new menu, use the button at the top of the new menu to switch to the classic menu.
Will the classic menu disappear?
We want to give you plenty of time to get used to the new menu. During the beta stages, you stay in control! We’d love for you to try the new menu and discover it at your own pace, using your normal workflow. To give you maximum flexibility, you can toggle back and forth between the new and classic menu at any moment. We plan to give you that option for some time, also after the official release of the new menu.
So, yes the classic menu will disappear sometime in the future, but not immediately.
What is coming next?
The menu is taking shape the way we want to, but we’re not done yet. Here are some of the upcoming features we’re considering:
- Grouping related functions together on one page. Right now, most items have their own entry in the menu, which makes it a bit bloated.
- The look and feel of the dashboards and tiles may be further refined.
- The menu and dashboards don’t work well on mobile devices yet. We’re considering those aspects in our design process.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Have feedback?
The new menu is supposed to help you find things more quickly. We’re still moving some things around, so please tell us if you’re missing things.
Also, is the new color scheme easy to read? Does it scale well on your screen?
Do you have ideas that we can consider or are you running into problems? Please tell us!